Tuesday, September 12, 2023

El Camino: Santiago de Compostela

 

I made it!

It was a long night. After lunch mostly stayed in yesterday, I decided to get dinner. It didn’t stay in at all. I didn’t count how many times I startled awake in the night telling myself, “Don’t fart!!”, before scooting to the toilet to divest my innards of yet another portion of dinner, but it was way more than three.

I got up in the morning determined to finish the walk anyways. I didn’t come all this way to take a taxi the last 20km if I could avoid it. So I doubled down on my dose of Imodium, packed extra clothes and a bunch of toilet paper in my bag, just in case, ate a piece of toast for breakfast, and set off down the road. I figured, worse case scenario, I’d become well acquainted with all the brush screens on the trail.

Fortunately for my dignity, my system decided to settle down, and while still being careful not to cut loose a fart, I made it to Santiago without trouble.

I walked, as did those around me, with a sense of heightened anticipation - Today, we reach a goal! Most of the scenery on the walk was what I’d become accustomed to this week, and the change, just 3km from the end of the walk, from quiet countryside to jam-packed city streets was jarring to my senses. As soon as I hit the city, I lost my friends, the concrete signposts which had showed me the way to go all week. And, with so many people of the streets, I lost sight of my trail people. Thank goodness for Google maps, or I’d have gotten lost at the last turn before the cathedral.

It felt almost anticlimactic as I finished the walk and stepped onto the plaza. Where was my finish line? Why was the crowd of people not cheering me on?? No high fives???

A bit sad, I found my way to a seat on the edge of the plaza, and sat down to rest my feet. As I sat, my sense of disappointment lifted. The sight of the magnificent face of the the cathedral before me, something I never really thought I get to see outside of photos, soothed my soul. I felt it welcome yet another pilgrim home.

My feet were too sore to even think about going inside, so after sitting entranced at the sights and celebrations surrounding me for a time, I wearily got to my feet, and trudged off to find my alburge, which turned out to be just ten minutes away.

My room here is adorable; he put me on the third floor, so I could have the best view - I can see the spires of the cathedral from my window. I took a chance on lunch around three (it took some doing to convince my now leery stomach that food was a good idea, but I’m good this far), did my laundry and came back to my room to write this update.

I have a rest day tomorrow before heading off to begin the second portion of my hike the following day. I will try to give my feet a break, so won’t do a lot of sightseeing, but do plan to get back to see the inside of the cathedral. I’m sure it’s beautiful beyond description.

I’m here!

Photos: me, celebrating (I can do my own high fives, thank you very much); one of the way markers; one more ancient church 






No comments:

Post a Comment