Tuesday, September 19, 2023

El Camino: Faro Fisterra

Today, I completed my walk to the end of the world.

How cool is that???

I left soon after sunrise, hoping I could have a bit of time near the lighthouse to myself-ish, before the busses started arriving and disgorging their crowds of people. It worked as I had hoped - I had only a few people for company during the 3 km walk up the hill; when I arrived, I walked to the pile of rocks marking the border between the lighthouse and the sea, and sat down for a long spell, just me and the sea. 

The air was cool, the sea breeze refreshing, the view indescribable. I mean, ocean, boats, yeah, all that - but knowing I looked across the water to *nothing* stilled my thoughts and quieted my soul. 

To the delight of my order-loving soul, unlike the square in Santiago, there actually is a marker showing 0,000 kilometers left on the trail. Yes! A finish line!

As I was leaving the plaza, so I could get a picture of myself with the marker, I joined the line of people just arrived off the latest bus, who were waiting for their chance to take a photo with it. The person behind me was more than happy to snap the shot when I handed her my phone. 

In my head, my photo with the stone meant more than theirs, because I’d EARNED that shot, dad-gum-it. But I kept that thought to myself, no need to disturb their moment and all. I know what I did. I know the price my feet paid for me to stand there for my moment in the sun. And that’s really what counts here, no?

Tomorrow, I get up early to take a taxi back to Santiago, where I will then catch the train back to Madrid.

It’s over. It’s really over. *she types with a sad sigh*

Photos: my moment with the marker; a bronze boot honoring those who have walked the trail; the sea at the end of the world







No comments:

Post a Comment