Tuesday, May 7, 2019

Web of WIsdom

Harriman Ranch, Granite, WY
I just got back from a wonderful few days in southern Wyoming.  This is the fifth time I've gone to a Web of Wisdom (women's) retreat since I first met up with these ladies in 2004 or thereabouts.  This time, it was Kate who pulled me to the workshop - she's been curious about my hard-to-describe experiences for a few years; this is the first year she's been able to attend.

We met up with two of the other participants at the Denver airport last Thursday, picked up the car the leaders had left in the lot with a hide-a-key to let us in, and headed north.  The retreat was at the same ranch where it was held two years ago, but this time the weather cooperated.  In 2017, I drove up in a snowstorm.  This year, it was in the upper 50's and sunny.

In Kansas City, the upper 50's are chilly; as I stepped from the car, it was a pleasant surprise to be reminded that drier air is crisp instead of clammy at that temperature.  My feet touched the dirt, I felt my shoulders drop from my ears and my breath unwind - my body has good memories from retreats past.  It was finally time to stop and breathe for a bit.

There was time to learn (or, in my case, relearn) the tools created by Virginia Satir to help us understand our family systems.  There was time to wander the quiet fields of the ranch; time to .
seek out the shy blooms of the first spring flowers.  Time to reconnect with friends from retreats past, time to talk with and begin to get to know the newcomers.  Time to help prepare the carefully chosen and delicious vegetarian meals, and to laugh in the kitchen with the cleanup crew.  Time for catch-up conversations with Kate - dang, but I miss that no-longer-a child of mine.

My tired soul welcomed the change of pace.  For a few days, I cared not at all about the state of politics in this country, nor about the daily concerns of my job.  I left my phone on airplane mode; used the internet only to scan my emails for the few items that actually needed my attention.

Stop.  Breathe.  Relax.
It's  good advice - I should pay attention to it more often!




No comments:

Post a Comment