Monday, April 29, 2019

Sisters Weekend II

I finally got the permanent fix done for my sewer last week.  The plumber had been putting me off for almost a month, but when I explained I had company coming in this weekend, he juggled things around to get me on the schedule.  (Neither of us wanted to test his temporary fix by adding to the volume of waste headed down the pipe...)

The crew showed up early Thursday morning, and spent the day making a mess of my front yard.  Many men, a couple of digging machines, trucks to haul away the leftover dirt - it was quite a production, and took all day.  The sewer line was a good 12' down where it came out of the house - I was glad it wasn't me digging at the bottom of the hole as they replaced the part of the pipe which went under the foundation.  And, for once, was grateful for the solid clay soil - it makes for stable trench walls, and they also shored the walls up to ensure the safety of the guy who drew the short straw and had to dig out the pipe.

I sure hope they did it right, because I REALLY don't want to do it again!

I was relieved to have it done before my sisters came to town on Friday.  We had such a great time when we got together for a weekend last year that we decided to do it again this spring.  I am short on vacation days, so talked them into coming to me this time.

We started the weekend doing yoga at the Kauffman Center; the local symphony hall.  They had a special event in the lobby on Saturday morning - a yoga class with live music in the lobby of the hall.
I was a bit frazzled from my week, so it was a great way to start relaxing.  Stop, breathe.  Look at the clouds floating overhead, enjoy the presence my sisters going through the motions next to me. Revel in the feeling of my body gently coming into line, letting knots and tightness begin to dissolve.

We crammed a lot of relaxing into the weekend - facials, massages, manicures - between going to my favorite restaurants and eating too much.  We had time to talk about our lives and our missing links - Maria and Libby were not far from our thoughts.  Two sisters gone, two years apart.  That's a lot of grief.  My sadness was eased a bit by our conversations.  Sharing a burden does sometimes help to lighten it.

The weekend passed too quickly, as good times are wont to do.  It seemed they just got here, when I had to wave goodbye.  Still working on that holding on to the best moments thing; still failing.

The moments pass, but the memories - those are still mine to hold.  I am so grateful we took the time to create some good ones.

No comments:

Post a Comment