Wednesday, September 16, 2026

More Cousins!

(And one Aunt and one Uncle)

Since I've been in a family state of mind lately, I definitely didn't want to skip the reunion for my dad's side of the family, so this past weekend found me on the road again. (Cue Willie Nelson...)

When the others who came down for cousin's weekend left for home, Julia stayed behind so I wouldn't have to make the drive to Minnesota by myself just a few days later. (It's one of the beauty's of the flexible schedule phase of life we're both in - no more having to track PTO or worry about catching up at work after taking more than a few days off. I've been retired almost ??! seven !!?? years now, and still like that part.)

We had beautiful weather for our drive on Thursday, and the miles were shorter because, despite having spent a whole week together, we still hadn't run out of things to talk about. Some sisters are like that. It was a rare treat to be able to relinquish the wheel when we were halfway through Iowa, and just sit back and enjoy the scenery for the rest of the drive.  

Saturday was a picture-perfect day for the family gathering in a park near St. Cloud. My dad's remaining brother is in a nursing home nearby, and we detoured on our way to the big party to attend the smaller gathering at his place. His mind is not as sharp as it once was, but he seemed happy to have everyone there to talk to him. It touched my heart when, once he knew I was Vic's Janice, he also knew my home is in Kansas City. Odd, the bits which stick in our memories.

We had an impressive turnout for the reunion - about fifty of us gathered for the delicious potluck and a few hours to talk. Most of the heads there now sport gray hair. (Most, perhaps all, of the rest of us cheat.) Many of our conversations started, "Do you remember...?", or, "Do you know why...?"

We have said a final goodbye to too many of our kin - it did my heart good to reawaken memories of the part they played in our family story. I like to think that, perhaps, their spirits were in the room with us, having a reunion of their own, sharing stories and marveling at the changes in those still on this side of death's curtain. 

I learned a few new pieces of family lore, had a brownie made from Grandma's recipe. I laughed a lot, let a few tears leak out when hearing tales from those who are traversing a tough road, rejoiced at stories of healing. I received my daily quota of hugs (and then some). 

And, bonus, there was a mini-reunion on Sunday at my sister's house for some of the "kids" in the next generation. More food, more laughter, more shared stories and hugs and love all around.

Given the givens of my energy levels, it's going to take a hot minute for me to recover from the trip. It involved a LOT of driving and talking to people (which can take more energy from me than I like to admit.)

Worth it!

No comments:

Post a Comment