Monday, September 21, 2026

Finally Fall

September, in these parts, started out hot and just got hotter. It's not unusual for the temps to brush the 90's this time of year, but this time, it was as if the calendar was confused, and thought it was late July - highs near 100, lows in the upper 70s and low 80s, no rain.

The grass, and many of the trees, cried uncle and went dormant. I followed suit, retreating indoors in the AC, unwilling to face my outdoor chores.

Yesterday, finally, the heat dome cracked open. I was out in the country with a group of friends at Anita & Jerry's farm, enjoying a picnic lunch. Their place sits atop a hill, and the breeze was cool, welcoming. The food was delicious, the conversation, entertaining. It was SUCH a lovely way to usher autumn in the door.

As I walked Sylvester this morning, a cool mist softened the edges of the trees. Despite the peace of the morning, I hit panic mode for a moment or two. It's already late September, the weeds are running rampant in the garden, and the lawn needs mowing; I haven't done any fall seeding, am I supposed to fertilize again?, and I don't have time to get to it today! 

Then, I stopped and took a deep breath.

The world will not end because I didn't get to these chores at the first possible opportunity. (Chances are good it won't end if I don't ever get to them.) It feels as if the fall season comes and goes in three days, but it actually lasts for a month or so. Surely, if I calm down and sit for a moment with my calendar, I will see there is time enough to get the important things done. 

(A part of my brain insists on adding, "or not. Tomorrow is not guaranteed." "Shush! I know it's not, but that doesn't mean I can't make plans anyways!" Now, where was I?)

Time enough to stop for a moment and breathe deeply, inhaling the scent of petrichor (the smell of the earth when it rains, after it hasn't rained for a while). Time enough to release some of the tension I've been carrying in my shoulders.

Time enough to pause. 
To Stop. Breathe. Relax.

No comments:

Post a Comment