Monday, April 1, 2024

Morning Song

I reluctantly stir
open my eyes to the predawn darkness.
time?
6:30
ugh!
I hit the snooze alarm

nine more minutes
the buzzer rings again

This time, I rise
because I know 
future Janice
noon Janice
will be a happier camper if she's gotten to exercise this morning.

I stumble to the bathroom
splash water on my face
put in my contacts.
Throw on some yoga clothes
head downstairs
still groggy
then
open the door 
step outside to take the dog on his morning walk.

It's quiet outside 
dawn just beginning to light the sky.
As I walk
I open my ears.
At first 
all I hear is the roar of a distant highway
then
the song of the awakening birds 
penetrates my fog.

First one note
then another
then, suddenly
there is a chorus 
welcoming the morning light
proclaiming the start of another day.

By the time I'm done 
circling the block
the dog has done his duty.
I am glad I am awake
and outside.

Grateful for the reminder:
Beauty Is.

No comments:

Post a Comment