Monday, May 22, 2023

Settling In

It has nothing to do with the rest of today's blog entry, but I got a kick out of the scene in this photo, which I took while walking around the park earlier this week.

Title: "I are a goose??!??!"

------------------------ 

I've had two whole weeks of my new yoga class, and, it turns out, I can do this. (At least as long as it's summer, and it starts to get light at 6 in the AM of the morning.) And, not only 'can' I do this, I WANT to do this. So far, I can easily get out of bed, even when I'm a bit tired, when this is the regimen I am getting out of bed for. 

The version of me who is exhausted and overworked has reveled in the two mornings each week when my day has started with:

Get up
Walk the dog
Eat breakfast
Go to Yoga
Sit for an hour with my coffee and the crossword puzzle
Go to Tone Class
Go home, clean up, and eat lunch

"Whose life is this??? Surely, not mine!", thinks that past version of me. I've expended a lot of time and energy caring for others most of my life. It feels decadent, indulgent even, to spend so much of a day just taking care of me, and I must admit, I rather like it! By noon, I am stretched, exercised, and ready to tackle whatever it is I have on my schedule for the rest of the day.

I've (almost) always been able to get me out of bed, ready or not, to meet whatever morning commitments I have. At the same time, I've spent many years fighting exhaustion that ran so deep that I never woke up feeling refreshed and ready to go. 

I don't quite know how to put into words how good it feels to want to get out of bed, even if it's just two mornings a week. Even if the feeling doesn't last, I now know it's possible to feel it. I know there is a future for me beyond exhaustion, and that I'm taking some right steps to reach it.

It's a good feeling.



No comments:

Post a Comment