Monday, November 14, 2022

All The Leaves Are Brown

And the sky is gray. I went for a walk, on a winter's day. 

But I'm not actually dreaming of California at the moment, which is where I depart from the Mamas & the Papas (for those old enough to know the song).

Rather, I am in the process of snugging in for the winter. Our fall warmth hung on for an extra week and a bit, but when it decided it was done, it was done. Over the course of just a few hours one rainy afternoon, the temps fell from the seventies to the thirties, and there they've stayed. Shirtsleeves to heavy coats; go directly to winter. Do not pass jean-jacket weather, do not collect $200.

I have been pleased to find my mood has not dropped in line with the temperatures. I think getting people back in my life on a regular basis really was the key to begin moving on from the bridge between here and there, from liminal space. The women I've met at Woodside have begun to connect into a loose-knit posse. Just once, we've even gathered outside the gym! It's been good for my soul.

Since I didn't have to spend as much of it combating a sinking mood, I had energy, before the cold hit, to finish up my outside fall wish list. Now I'm able to sit inside, look at my yard, and just enjoy the changing scenery, without having the drumbeat of undone chores echoing in my head.

I thoroughly enjoyed my walk through the park yesterday. The crowds have disappeared with the warm weather and taken most of their carelessly discarded debris with them. With many of the people gone, I heard more birdsong as I walked along the trails. I'm not sure if the birds are singing more, or if I just had more bandwidth to pay attention to nature because I wasn't not cussing at (and picking up what I could of) the trash. Either way, it was lovely.

I've also had the luxury of getting to ease into the time change. If I'm tired at nine, which just last week was ten, I go to bed. If I don't want to get up in the dark, I don't have to - I can just lie in bed and doze and watch the sky turn light, even if I'm done sleeping. (I gotta admit - I really like the part of my life where I don't have to rush out of the house in the morning.)

This year, I don't feel so sad as I wave goodbye to the growing season. I'm not afraid of the coming dark. I am looking forward to the season of candles and warm soups and stews. Of hot tea before bedtime and quilts on the bed. Who knows, maybe we'll get some snow, and I will have a great excuse to have a snow day, and pull out a jigsaw puzzle.

The trees have started their winter's rest. This year, I think I am ready to try to join them.

No comments:

Post a Comment