Wednesday, September 7, 2022

Family Weekend II

 

I had a lovely visit with my family at Onnika's graduation party back in July, and as I was driving back home, was grateful to be finishing my last long drive for the summer. 

About a week later, the invitation to my brother Michael's Open House hit my inbox. 

*sigh* I didn't want to do another long drive. I didn't actually have anything planned for Labor Day weekend, but surely, I could just skip the party, and invite myself over to his place to check it out the next time I was in town for something else. *grumble, grouse, mutter* I thought I'd talked myself into giving it a pass, but the party found its way onto my calendar anyways. 

Mike doesn't invite the family over very often. And, he's been working on his new garage with its detached house pretty solidly for the past two+ years. (If the five-oversized-bay garage with its industrial lift, finished walls and ceilings, full bath, and heated floors isn't bigger than the house, it's pretty darn close. I don't even work on cars, and I've got garage envy!)

Though I've not attempted to build a place from the ground up, I know what it's like to pour my heart and soul into a project. Finally, still grumbling to myself, I decided to get my keister on up there. He'd done some great work, actually managed to complete the place. He'd earned his celebration, and I wanted to be there to join in the applause.

The Universe liked my change of heart. 

When I first got my Mustang convertible, fifteen years ago, I loved driving it on long drives, but the car and I have both gotten older. These days, my butt starts talking to me somewhere around about hour seven, and it doesn't use nice words.

Two days before I was scheduled to head out, a friend of mine called - could I take them to the airport on Friday morning? I told her I'd be happy to, and that I'd be headed from there to Minnesota. She replied, "Great! You can drive my car. We'll be out of town, so I won't even notice it's gone." Not one to look a gift horse in the mouth, I quickly accepted her offer.

So, I got to drive up to the party in her much-newer Honda CR-V. It's got all the modern bells and whistles, including a chair-like driver's seat that adjusts all the directions. My keister appreciated the change of pace.

The gathering was a success. Mother Nature cooperated and ordered in picture-perfect weather. The house and garage both were spotless, ready to be admired, worth admiring. There was music and beverages and a delicious food spread. Standing tall through it all was my brother. His joy in sharing his accomplishment was clear to see - his smile was broad, and I didn't see it leave his face all afternoon.

I think it was important to show up to celebrate with him. I'm glad I made it.

No comments:

Post a Comment