Wednesday, July 20, 2022

Family Weekend

This past weekend's trip to Minnesota had two purposes:

One, I needed to deliver Sophia back home. We, as I had hoped, had a great week together. We went shopping some, out to eat some, yoga-d some. She didn't seem to mind hanging out with just me, and I enjoyed having her around.

Two, I wanted to attend another niece's graduation party. Onnika's high school years were rocky. Between her mother's death halfway through her first year and covid which hit halfway through the next, she was treading water at best, barely holding her own. I knew this, but also knew her problems weren't mine to fix. Fortunately, she has a great dad and he listened and worked with her and found her the help she needed. She switched schools to get away from the ghosts, and was able to regain her footing in time to finish her coursework and graduate on schedule.

I haven't seen her much in the past few years; she's avoided the few family get-togethers we've had. When I did see her in those years, her struggle was written all over her face, body, clothes. So it was a welcome change to be greeted as we pulled into the yard by the sprite I remembered from of old. 

She was radiant in her long white skirt, soft pink blouse, and coordinating random locks of bright pink hair. Her rose-colored, heart-shaped glasses told a story of their own. I stepped out of the car into her waiting arms. She held me close, and whispered, "I did it. Mom would be proud of me."

Yeah, baby, she would be at that. No doubt in my mind. *surreptitiously wipes a stray tear*

The rest of the afternoon sped by in a rush as I attempted to catch up on the lives of my family who were able to attend the celebration. I hadn't seen some of them since Covid, so there was a lot of catching up to do - fortunately for my anxious heart, they are all doing well. I heard no new stories of illness or failed relationships. *whew*

It did my heart good to see them; to renew the bonds of kinship. 

Love Is.

No comments:

Post a Comment