Monday, October 4, 2021

Working on Windows

Over the past few weeks, I've FINALLY been tackling some of the items that have been hanging around on my needs-to-be-done list for waayyyy too long. One of the items on the list is to replace the cracked panes several of my windows have been sporting for several years.

Even though I got quite a bit of practice replacing window glass last year when I was working at the castle, I still got nervous when approaching the task.

But avoiding a task because I'm nervous about tackling it has yet to yield me the desired result of getting to mark the work completed, so this past week, I gathered up my courage and climbed out onto the roof. I started with the easy one - the window with just one broken pane, easily accessible from the porch roof. 

Unlike the windows in the castle, which I was able to remove from the walls and set on a table to work on in comfort, I had to do this one in place. Turns out, it's not as much fun to shatter the broken glass when I know the shards are going to fly out everywhere and skitter across my finished floors to land where I would eventually find them with my bare feet. *sigh* Breaking the glass was one of my favorite parts of the job. 

Taking a few deep breaths to calm my jitters, I got out the heat gun and started removing the softened glazing with the broken pane in place (instead of getting to just whack it with a hammer). It worked - I was able to loosen the pane enough to break it out in more-or-less controlled sections. (More-or-less is as good as I get some days.)

Except for the part where my glass measurement was 1/4" too short because I'd tried to measure the opening before removing the glaze, it went pretty well. (And what's a project without an extra trip to Joe's house to cut myself a new pane of glass in the correct size?) Three hours later, I finished the last bit of glazing and gave myself a pat on the back for a job well done.

Emboldened by my success with the first window, I tackled the second one last week. This one had two broken panes, but I wasn't worried about it. After all, I'd gotten the first one replaced without problems, right???

Turns out, if you press too hard on the chisel, trying to rush things a bit instead of letting the heat gun finish its work first, you can flex the window frame enough to break the formerly intact pane of glass next to the one you're trying to replace. Who knew?

Fortunately, I only had to learn the lesson once. At least, I only had to learn it once that day. Newly cautious, I managed to get the three panes of glass replaced without causing any further damage. *WHEW*

Two down, one to go. The last window will not be accessible from the roof, so I'll get to practice my broken window removal skills while balancing on a ladder twelve feet off the ground. I gotta admit, I'm nervous about it.

But I'll gather my courage, face my fears, and take it carefully. It's the only way it'll get done.

No comments:

Post a Comment