Monday, October 2, 2023

Reentry

Has it really been just ten days since I got home? It seems like it's been months since I arrived, footsore and on cloud nine, at the end of the world.

I've still been waking during the night, surprised to open my eyes and find myself back in my familiar bed. (I'm always happy to be home, once I figure out that's where I am.) My subconscious is busy integrating the lessons I learned on the trail - I can tell by the surreal quality of the dream fragments I can remember. 

I knew, when I got home, I needed to spend a few days off my feet, to let them heal up, but also had a pile of deferred chores to be done and I am not the world's best at taking it easy when there is work calling my name. Fortunately for me, whether she knew it or not, Rose, who had been watching my house, had the key.

"I started this puzzle," she said. "The pieces are all turned over, and I've sorted out the edges. If you don't want to finish it, just scoop them back into the box," she said.

Ha! Fat chance of THAT happening. Puzzles, especially when I don't have to share the joy of putting them together, are one of my addictions. So, I spent the first few days after I was home assembling the picture, and doing just what the doctor ordered, letting my feet rest up.

I'm happy to report they've healed beautifully. Even the worst of the blisters are almost gone, the no-longer-needed outer layer peeling off to show tender, but healthy, new skin beneath. *whew*

I'm discovering one doesn't come back from an adventure like the Camino and just pick up life's pieces from where they were left scattered about the house and go on as if nothing happened. Like an old dress pulled from the back of the closet, my old life no longer quite fits; I've changed shape! It's been the oddest sensation - almost as if I were settling into someone else's life. I've been looking at my daily activities in a new light. These things I like, keep doing them. Now, why was I doing that??? Perhaps I no longer need to spend my time that way. 

I am SO grateful for all I learned last month even though it's clearly going to take some time to sort it all out. It's a good job to have.




No comments:

Post a Comment