Monday, March 13, 2023

Illusions of Control

I really, really, really like to pretend I am able to control things. 
Some things. 
Anything?

I was considering this illusion of mine the other day as we were practicing our breathing in one of my yoga classes. Breathe in for a count of four. Hold for four. Breathe out for four. Hold for four. Repeat.

Control. Yup, I've got it.

But then my mind checked in with my body beyond my breathing, and I realized that not only am I not in control of my body, I couldn't begin to do it. I don't have the necessary knowledge.

Let me take just a short walk down that path.

Heart: beating. Got it.
Lungs: breathe in, then breathe out. So far, so good.
Blood: take the oxygen the lungs put into the blood and use the boost the heart gave you to go around the body, and distribute it to every cell. (However it is you accomplish that.) Oh. Don't forget to pick up the carbon dioxide on your way back around, ok?

Stomach: secrete some enzymes and digest that food.
Intestines: grab the good stuff from what the stomach gave you and parcel it out according to need. Fat, here. Protein, there. 
Wait. 
Micro-nutrients, go, where? 
How do you intestines know what to pull from the digested goo and what to pass along (so to speak)?

And why was it again that I needed a spleen?

Oh, shoot! I forgot to keep track of what the liver was doing! Madam gallbladder, are you on the ball?? The liver needs your help.

And is it time for the thyroid to manufacture some more T4 and T3? Oh, and the rest of the hormones that keep me on the level, I need some more of those! Pituitary, pineal, thymus and adrenal glands and pancreas, get on the stick! No, I don't know which ones I need!!!! Can you just make the same ones you did yesterday, so we can get by until I have a minute to figure this out?????

Oh, spit! I forgot to keep the heart beating!!!!!!!!!

Game over.

.    .    .    .    .    .    .     .

Let me pause for just a moment in gratitude, to send a message to the Powers Who Are. 

Thank you for the miracle that is the body that does the magic that allows my mind to say, "I am."

If you'll keep doing your part and keep the body working so my mind can keep working, "I who is" promises to continue the work of letting go of my illusions of control.

No comments:

Post a Comment