Monday, May 9, 2022

E for Effort

I am visiting my daughter in California, and while the beach was too windy and cold to go with Plan A, which was to spend the day there, the weather where she lives, inland just a bit, is just what the doctor ordered. Temps in the low sixties, a light breeze, a bright blue sky - perfect hiking weather for my last day here.

I've been walking her dog, Sylvester, most days while I've been in town. There are trailheads for a gorgeous state park about a half mile down the road, and I like to wander in just a ways when I'm out and about, but the SillyDog, as I call him, will have nothing to do with it when he's along for the walk.

He willingly walks to the park gate, but when I try to go beyond it, he stops. Balks, makes me drag him along before reluctantly trotting a few steps, or, just lies down and refuses to go any further. When I give up and turn for home, he gets up and trots ahead happily. *sigh*

Kate and I have talked over possible reasons for his behavior, because he usually LOVES to go out for walks. The most plausible theory was that he gets thirsty by the time we get that far, and just wants to go home and get some water.

This morning, I decided to take a chance and test the theory. I gathered a few hiking essentials and the SillyDog and set out for a midmorning hike. He trotted willingly ahead of me until we got to the park, then sat down right on schedule. I was prepared, got out the portable bowl and extra water I'd brought with me for just this event, and was pleasantly surprised to have my theory pan out. He lapped up the water, then happily trotted ahead on down the trail. 

All went well for the first couple of turns, then he began balking and pulling back on the leash. I stopped to check his feet, and found both a few of the burrs I'd suspected would be present, and a LOT of grass seeds - those long, skinny things with little hooks on the end. I'd come prepared with a set of scissors to cut out the burrs as we found them, so was able to clear the fur around his paws.

We set out once again, and I found out that SillyDog is not a great master of the concept of cause and effect. The trail itself was fine, but he insisted on jumping off time and again to check out the fascinating smells to the side (can I really blame him?), and the minute he did so, his feet were once again full of pricklies.

After the fourth time he sat down, I gave up. I gave him another drink, re-cleared the stickers, and reluctantly turned to head for home. We'd given it a good shot; I'll give us an E for Effort.

As we trekked back, I was grateful that even if it hadn't been the hike I'd hoped for, it was way better than nothing. It was only a 45 minute break from reality, but for that short time, I was able to look around and see nothing but nature. Wildflowers in abundance, some of the plants taller than I. Lizards and butterflies. Thin, wispy, clouds and brilliant blue sky.

For that short time, I was able to forget about all that is wrong in the world, and to see only what is right. 

*happy sigh*. Good (still) Is.


1 comment:

  1. I understand the sniffing around is supposed to be good for a dog's mental health. I hope it's worth the effort you put into it for him.

    ReplyDelete