Friday, August 6, 2021

Goodbye, Uncle Dennis

Dennis John 
December 6, 1937 - February 1, 2021

Uncle Dennis was my dad's youngest brother, and I want to be just like him when I grow up.

I know I can't QUITE be like him - it's too late to have a long and loving marriage like the one he had with my Aunt Lou; they were married for 58 1/2 years. I loved it when I got to spend time with the two of them. I enjoyed watching their interplay; they'd long ago settled into a delightful rhythm. They'd found ways to love both because of and despite their differences, and it showed.

But I can work on being a person who looks for the good in life; someone who is a good neighbor. I can stay active and remember to notice the beauty of the world I am passing through. I can work to be a touchstone for my children; someone they can rely on and turn to for advice.

He and Aunt Lou were snowbirds, and stayed in Tucson, AZ each winter. I stopped to see them when I ran away from home for a few weeks after getting diagnosed with cancer nine years ago; a sort of coda to the dream life I'd been living. I loved the few days I was able to spend with them. They wouldn't let me lift a finger; fixed all my meals for me, wouldn't even let me help with the dishes. We went hiking and to yoga. We took naps and shared stories. When I left, I left with a heart full of their love and support. 

And I know that's how he tried to treat all the people he met. He worked hard to change the world for the better. At his funeral, we heard of one of his last accomplishments - he brought the game of pickleball to his home in Amery, WI.

During the eulogy, they told the story of how he'd decided some long-neglected tennis courts would be the perfect place to set up pickleball. He worked with some of his friends and the city to clean up, resurface, and repaint the courts. Got new nets installed, fixed the fencing. His work was appreciated, and at his funeral, they showed us the sign they'd gotten made and planned to install. Yes, the courts are to be officially known as the Dennis John Pickleball Courts.

Not a bad legacy, if you ask me.

Goodbye, Uncle Dennis. The Dennis-sized hole you left behind in the lives of we who loved you will be hard to fill. I will miss you. Rest in God's Peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment