Tuesday, July 20, 2021

Goodbye, Uncle Rudy

I'd just gotten back from my Uncle Norb's funeral when word came that my Uncle Rudy had died. 

*sad sigh*

Uncle Rudy was one of my dad's younger brothers, I'm sorry to say I never knew him well. There was no bad blood between us, but there was also not much common ground. When I got news of his family at the yearly John reunions, it was usually from his wife, Aunt Marlene (also pictured), who died in 2006.

I do know the two of them made raising seven kids on a shoestring budget into an art form. They came to visit me in Kansas City some twenty years ago; they were driving a car that hadn't been new since Reagan was president. It clearly had a lot of miles on it, and my skepticism regarding its fitness for long distance travel must have shown on my face, because they both quickly assured me they had no doubts they'd make the cross-country trip without trouble - and they were right.

Like my dad, he was good at fixing broken things. He'd take a broken down something, look at it, think a bit, then set to work with the appropriate tools. He rarely faced defeat; was able to fix almost anything.

He and Marlene shared a love of fishing, and spent many a summer day on lakes in northern Minnesota and Canada in pursuit of pike, walleye. I do recall getting in on some of the eating part of their passion a time or two - that was some good fish!

He'd grown frail these past few years, but was able to stay at home because his daughter Darla moved in with him and took care of him. She's been on duty for several years, taking care of his daily needs, keeping the house habitable, schlepping him to his many appointments - bless her.

These past few years can't have been easy for him - he'd always been such an independent sort, outside taking care of the farm and equipment. It had to be tough to not be able to get around well.

I hope they're right when they tell me we get to leave age and illness behind when we leave this world. I like to think he's young and fit again, and that God has a shed full of broken trucks - and the parts and quality tools needed to get them running again. (Along with a stocked lake or three, and boats and fishing equipment, for when he wants to relax.) He'd like that, I think.

Rest in Peace, Uncle Rudy.

No comments:

Post a Comment