Friday, June 18, 2021

Group Puzzlers

I have some company here for a couple of weeks and have been thoroughly enjoying the change in routine. Last year, I restarted one of my favorite traditions, which was to have my nieces and nephews come stay for a while in the summer. The practice had lapsed for almost a decade - between my camper van trip, major house renovations, and dealing with cancer, the visits just didn't happen.

Both Sophia and Autumn came down from Minnesota last year; I was thrilled when they accepted my invitation to visit again. As a bonus, Autumn is old enough to make the drive down, so getting them down here was much simpler than it's been in years past.

We have been getting out and about, checking out the local attractions they weren't able to see last year because most things were closed, but we have also had a lot of down time; time to just be. 

Autumn came prepared; she brought two puzzles with her, and picked up another couple after she got here. She likes to do them at home, and when she was here last year, she dug into my jigsaw puzzle collection as a way to pass some time. We had some good conversations as we sat around the table assembling the pictures.

Now, those who know me well, might find the 'we' part of the previous sentence a bit surprising. I've never been good about sharing my puzzles. I want to find ALL the pieces, and I certainly don't want someone else to find the three-corner blue one that has just a trace of pink on one edge before I do, especially when I've been searching for it for several hours. Amazingly enough, it seems time has mellowed my possessive streak, and I haven't had to have a single word with myself about sharing nicely. Seems I'm still capable of learning and growing - good to know.

Turns out, putting puzzles together is a great way to get (re)acquainted. Having the puzzle to divide focus is a good way to start what I think of as long conversations. I'm thinking of the kind of talk that only seems to start when time stretches as it does on long drives.

The conversation ebbs and flows, veering easily from the serious to the trivial. I've learned a lot about how they weathered COVID, what's going on at school. I've caught up on some family gossip, expanded my knowledge of how life navigation techniques have changed since I was their age, some forty years ago. (could it really be true???? Simple math seems to think so...)

They are resilient, intelligent, and interesting young women. I am honored by their willingness to give me a glimpse into the challenges and joys of their worlds. If their peers are anything like them, the world is in good hands for the next generation. 

They're the kind of people, who, when they come across that three-cornered blue piece with the pink streak, hand it over for me to triumphantly fit into place myself, instead of stealing it for themselves. You know, the good kind of people.

It's done my heart good to have them here...

No comments:

Post a Comment