Monday, November 23, 2020

Happy Thanksgiving, anyways!

Usually my Thanksgiving is a celebration of the best of the printable sort of f-words.

Family.     Friends.    Food.

That's it.

No drama, no unmeetable expectations. Just a lively gathering of people I love, too much delicious food, and pie to top it all off.

As with so many of my other plans for the year, COVID-19 is putting a drag on this year's celebration. With the virus running rampant, I am planning to follow the CDC's advice and celebrate with a very small group. There will be just four of us, and since one of the four doesn't live here, we will keep our masks on unless we're eating. When we eat, we will sit far apart, like we don't like each other or something. Bah, humbug!

In the spirit of the holiday, I'm trying not to focus on the parts I'll miss. (Based on the above paragraph, I'm clearly having a little trouble with this part, but I'm trying...) Rather, I'm doing my best to be aware of the abundance of good things in my life for which I am truly thankful.

I will still get to enjoy the too much good food part. And part of my family will be here. I won't be eating alone.

There will be lots of leftovers. I like Thanksgiving leftovers. (Good thing - is it even possible to fix a turkey dinner for four???)

I miss my people, but also know they are still there. This virus shall pass, and when it does, I will get to see them again, and we will share real hugs - none of this elbow bumping nonsense

Everyone I know who has gotten the virus is recovering. So far, so good.

The vaccine news is excellent - it's easier to hunker down knowing there will be an end to the hunkering.

Young Joe is showing no lasting effects from his premature entrance to this life. One of the best parts of the castle project is the part where I've gotten to watch him grow from day to day. (He's walking already!) The kid is just stinkin' cute. Not that I'm biased.

My health is good, I have enough money to pay the bills and still have a little left over for some of the things I want. My house is cozy, and on this cold, rainy, November evening, my furnace is chugging away without grumbling. The lights are on, and I can get hot and cold water just by turning on a faucet.

Beauty Is and Good Is and Love Is and no stupid virus can touch these, my bedrock beliefs.

So, Happy Thanksgiving (anyways)!

No comments:

Post a Comment