Monday, April 13, 2020

Corona Spring Continues

The quarantine is wearing on me. I miss my friends; I'm tired of fear and masks and always eating at home. I want to make plans again; to go to the grocery store knowing the items I want will most likely be on the shelves. The latest news says it will be several more weeks before the restrictions are lifted. And since I know I am one of the lucky ones in this crisis, I feel guilty for even thinking about gritching about it. (The guilt helps not at all, in case you're wondering...)

And then.

With my apologies to Dr. Seuss: It came without fanfare. It came without (hash)tags. It came without chocolate or bunnies or (reusable) bags. And she puzzled three hours 'til her puzzler was sore. Then the Grinchess thought of something she hadn't before. What if Springtime, she thought, doesn't come from a store. What if Easter, perhaps, means a little bit more.

I found a treasured silver lining in this past week's Easter celebration. I haven't gone to church for the past few years (long story...). Some times I miss it more than others, and with the virus rampant this year, it's definitely tipped to the missing more side. I've longed for the fellowship of the years when I sang in the choir during the Triduum; participated with all my heart and soul.

And, to answer my need, this year, with all the churches closed, the Easter celebration came to me. I listened to the Holy Thursday service from one, Good Friday from another, and Holy Saturday from yet a third church, their services available online for any with internet access to see. Three different faith traditions, all preaching the same message: The darkness will not last.

My heart needed to hear that message.
Because it's true.
This, too, shall pass.

Springtime is here and it is beautiful and it smells good and shame on me if I'm too wrapped up in my head to properly notice. Once I realized I was pouting early last week, I stopped doing it. I've taken time to open my eyes and nose and ears, and there Spring was, waiting patiently for me. The trees and tulips are blooming, wearing their best dresses. The grass is growing and smelled fresh and clean when I cut it. The cardinals are in full song in my backyard.

It was there all along, waiting with open arms to welcome me into the joy of new life.
Hallelujah!


No comments:

Post a Comment