Sunday, November 11, 2012

Operation Creep Out: Success.


McMurdo Station, Antarctica

Late this summer, our Wifi vendor got a bit busy and called in a friend of his to help resolve some problems we were having with our new internet setup.

Justin was in and out of the office for several weeks (it took him a bit, but he did find and fix our main network issue), and one day happened to wear in a shirt with an Antarctica EMT crew logo on it.  Since Kate was going down in November, I asked him about it, and it turns out, in one of his other lives, he's part of the EMT crew down at McMurdo Station there.  He's gone down each of the last several years for the winter (summer, there), and was planning to go down again this year.

Immediately, my mind began to hatch a plot.  How funny would it be, if, while Kate was wandering around the station in Antarctica, one of the far corners of the world, some complete stranger met up with her and asked her how her mother was doing at Cristo Rey?  It would totally mess with her mind.

I asked Justin if he was in on the scheme, and he was with me in a moment.  (Did I mention he's a bright young man?)  He left to go down there at the beginning of October.  Kate arrived earlier this week.  It's not a real big place, so it only took a couple of days for him to run into her.

His report:  Operation Creep Your Daughter Out was a resounding success!

Have I ever mentioned that one of my favorite parts of being a parent is that you get to mess with them just a little?  I'm still laughing. 


1 comment:

  1. Oh, I've got one of those! But my wasn't as clever - I didn't plan it at all. Last winter, a really cute video came up on facebook from one of Matt's friends. Another friend was diving into an Alaskan snowbank - poof, and she was gone. I could hear Matt laughing in the background. So I sent a quick text to him to say that it looked like he had fun in the snow. He texted back how weird that was since they were STILL LAUGHING, AND HIS FRIEND HADN'T CLIMBED OUT OF THE DITCH YET.

    ReplyDelete