Monday, January 7, 2019

Breathe

Beauty Is
After the intensity of the last few months, I was more than ready for a week off, and last week, I got it. It was the first full week I've had off since starting with Jack Cooper eighteen months ago, and having Kate and Lexi here for most of it was a welcome change from routine.

I got to enjoy their company and the comfort of my own bed, all in the same week. Life is good.

I slept in almost every day. I remade my acquaintance with Lexi - she's growing so fast. The two of them helped me to clean out my closet. (I can never seem to get that done on my own - I want to hang on to my favorites long after time has passed for them to be retired.)

We enjoyed a Christmas celebration with my favorite ex-brother-in-law and his family. I hosted a gathering of people who love Kate here at my house the following night. After the two of them left to go back to California (their flight left at god-thirty on Friday morning), I spent the better part of the day putting together a jigsaw puzzle.

For me to put together a puzzle requires a stretch of uncommitted time. Once I dump the puzzle on the table, nothing short of my eyes refusing to focus on the pieces gets me to stop until the picture is complete. (Even then, it's off to bed only to resume as soon as is practical in the morning.) It's a great way for me to rest my mind. I listen to music, and my thoughts wander here and there, not lighting much of anyplace because most of my focus is on the colors and shapes before me. I'm not sure - do other people use puzzles for meditation? - perhaps I'll start a trend! Or not.

Once the puzzle was complete, I managed to catch up on some household chores. I went for a couple of walks around the park; the weather was unseasonably beautiful.

I knew I'd been carrying a lot of stress around with me since coming back from Libby's in Minnesota at the first of November, but typically for me, didn't realize quite how tightly I was knotted up until I took a few days to breathe. Life goes on, with or without my consent.

While my break was too short (no, I've never had a period of time off I thought was long enough, thank you for asking), I'm grateful for the time I had.

Taking time to stop, breathe and relax is important.
Just ask me.

No comments:

Post a Comment