Monday, June 25, 2018

Crying Children

When I was in upper elementary school, I was fascinated by the stories of the Holocaust. I read every story on the topic I could find. (Fortunately for the peace of my dreams, I didn't realize the accounts in the non-fiction section of the library contained anything of interest to me.)

One story in particular stuck in my head - about a family who hid those fleeing persecution behind a false wall in a bedroom. The author of the story was eventually hauled in on suspicion of harboring fugitives. Though the authorities had no concrete proof, it didn't take much for them to toss her into jail. While she was there, she got a letter from her sister, with the writing of the address slanted up towards the stamp. She knew her sister couldn't tell her in the letter if her people were safe, but she hunted the pages for clues anyways - as had the police. As she read and re-read the missive, it occurred to her that her sister didn't usually write at a slant. She carefully steamed the stamp off, and underneath, in tiny letters, it said, 'All the watches in your closet are safe." The refugees had made it to safety.  (I just looked it up - the one phrase I remembered was enough to identify the book as The Hiding Place, by Corrie ten Boom, a Dutch watchmaker. Sometimes, I really love the internet.)

I was intrigued by the concept of the false wall - one of the things I loved about my old house was that I could easily have built such a hiding place, had the need arisen. (My current house, sadly, not so much. It's highly symmetrical, with no good odd-shaped corners to enclose.)

The book and the false wall have been visiting my dreams regularly these past few weeks, unearthed by the images and sounds of the crying children at our borders. No, I've heard of no systemic system within the country to move those seeking asylum across it, (and I don't know where they'd be moved to if there was - would Canada take them in?), but I would join such a group in a heartbeat. It is always wrong to intentionally traumatize children.

I am grateful for the many voices more powerful than mine who have spoken up in chorus, defending the children's right to not be torn from the arms of their parents. It's a varied crew - all four living first ladies, members of the Democratic leadership galore, the news media, the Pope, and also many leaders from the conservative sector - Jerry Falwell, other evangelical leaders, members of the Republican House and Senate. Money has poured in to funds set up to assist these families. It is heartening to know I am not alone in my outrage and sorrow, even as it tears my soul to know I am part of a country whose leaders are repeating some of the most heart-wrenching mistakes of our history.

I pray this travesty will soon be behind us, that we will find a better way to track and house those who travel to the U.S.A. seeking asylum and refuge. I pray for the separated families, that they will soon be reunited.

And, to my surprise, I find myself praying for the young men and women who are following orders as they tear these families apart. History tells us their sleep will not be easy once the adrenaline from the moment has faded, and they hear over and over, in their dreams, the cries of the wronged children.

Hatred damages those who hate as well as those who are hated.

?Peace? Please???

No comments:

Post a Comment