Sunday, January 14, 2018

Brain Surgery

Sometimes, our medical system works. Tests are run, surgeons are found, operating rooms are booked and surgery is done - all within the week.

It was Libby's chance to get more good days, and she jumped on it. They think they got it all. (and tell us they'll go back with radiation to burn out any remaining bits they may have missed.)

I'm glad they were able to get it out so quickly for a couple of reasons. One. It was icky.  (Eeewwwww!!!! It's ICKY!!!!  Get it OOUUUTTTT!!!!)  Two. Assuming it sprang from her first cancer, it was aggressive. The sooner it could be gone, the better.

Her symptoms spread rapidly enough. Three weeks ago, she started having trouble finding words, two weeks ago, she was already losing dexterity in her right hand.

I happened to be up in Minnesota for a family funeral on Friday, the day she had her surgery. They started at one; projected the surgery to last for five hours. It took all that and more.

Libby has two girls who are around the age I was when my mom got sick, and I was projecting my fears and sad memories big time. So, the night before surgery, I texted and called Libby. Not unexpectedly, I got no answer. So I texted and called her husband, Scott. same. Next, I texted her younger daughter - and finally got a message back from Scott. Guess they figured out it would be easier to just reply than to continue ignoring my pestering.

Yes, we could pick up the girls after school on Friday if we wanted. We wanted. With dad at the hospital and mom in surgery, that's no evening to be home alone. Even if you are a mature teenager who has been handling all the ups and downs of the last year with outward aplomb.

We picked up the younger girl first. Brought her back to the house where she taught us a new card game. (Played with actual playing cards; who knew her generation knew what those things are for?) Much laughter ensued, needed laughter.

Went out to dinner, then went back up to pick up her older sister, who had just finished pep band. (We brought along carryout for her - we're nice like that...) Brought everyone back to my sister's place for an overnight visit. We did our best to surround them with love and support; to let them know they were not alone. I think it worked; I hope it worked. Brain surgery is scary stuff. Especially when it's your mother.

As I write this, 48 hours after surgery, Libby is recovering well per the last message we received. Her words are coming back already, she is less confused. She is grumpy as all get out because they keep waking her up every hour. In this case, grumpy is wonderful. Normal. Expected.

**Huge, tentative, sigh of relief**
A welcome reprieve.
Good Is.

No comments:

Post a Comment