Thursday, January 29, 2015

And Waiting...

We have a date now for surgery - Feb 10th.
We have a place - the Mayo Clinic.
She fees more comfortable with the doctors at Mayo - when she talked to them, they listened and took her concerns seriously.  They proposed a treatment plan that takes her concerns into account and eased her fears. (Here's a cheer for the Mayo oncology team!)
So that's all set.
and still we wait.

I was restless last weekend, (have I mentioned I'm not good at waiting?) but managed to channel a lot of my restless energy into tile work.  I'm almost finished; another couple of hours of work will see it done!

I'd be done with all the grout if my fingertips hadn't given out on me.  I KNOW you're not supposed to smooth the grout with your fingers.  And definitely not the sanded caulk they have these days - that stuff is wicked rough on the skin - but I don't know how else to get it nice and smooth.  So, as I caulked and grouted, I cut little slits in my fingertips, one by one.  After the first one, I was able to just switch to the other hand, but after the second, I had to rethink.

So, I got out the band aids and the handy-dandy white waterproof tape Joe had tucked away.  I covered the cuts with band aids, then covered the bandages with tape.  Thus, I was able to keep going for quite some time - by the time I called it quits, I had seven of them under wraps. (If I were a true genius, I'd have covered my fingertips with the tape before cutting the bejezus out of them, but we all get these great ideas after it's too late, don't we?)

As I was lying in bed, fingers throbbing beneath their new clean coverings, I have to admit - it felt good to have made progress on something concrete.  I may not have finished, I may not have tackled it in the smartest manner, but at least I finished the day ahead of where I started.

Some days, I'll take what I can get.

(Four days later, the cuts are healing nicely - I'll be able to get back in there and finish up this weekend, I hope...)

No comments:

Post a Comment