I measured, Joe cut. I climbed the ladder and did the fine-tuning on the bending. I screwed our creation into place, and went to bed secure that I was one up on the little buggers.
This afternoon, I climbed out of my car and startled a squirrel who was hanging out on a portion of the roof where I don't normally see the nefarious pests. He jumped, ran up the roof, and disappeared. I stepped back a bit to see where he'd gone, and sure enough, they've made a matching hole on the north end of the house. He was peering over the edge at me, as if to try to figure out if I'd seen where he'd gone to hide.
Back to the hardware store I go...
However, I'm not spending all of my time chasing squirrels. Last weekend, I had a great time tearing down the walls in the kitchen.
I found some more bad karma cooties lurking in the ceiling. I'd suspected the bath faucets almost had to be leaking, but hadn't been worrying a whole lot about it since there wasn't any water coming through in the kitchen below. When I got into the ceiling, I found the water hadn't been leaking because they'd green-rocked the area under the leak. (Green-rock is a mold and water resistant type of sheetrock.) In two layers. The leak wasn't bad enough to come through both layers, but there was enough water to foster a healthy layer of black mold up there. The kitchen smells much better with the cooties banished to the trash pile in the back yard.
I also got the main electrical line moved this week, from the back of the house to a new mast on the garage. (It's buried between the garage and the house.) The framing is moving along, and while there's still a ways to go, it's getting to where you can see the bones of the shape of the new space. The amount of work to be done between where we are and the finished rooms is a bit overwhelming to think about, so I'm trying to focus on one step at a time. It will get there eventually if I keep chipping away at it.
Kind of like the squirrels, chipping away at my eaves.