Sunday, March 16, 2014
And just in time. Friday night, as we were toasting garlic bread in the oven, the handle on the door pulled off. It made it quite a challenge to finish the bread since the door tried to pull itself in half when we opened it (and there was no way to reattach the handle until the oven was cooled down). But we persevered and managed to finish cooking without the door completely falling off. It was close...
I met with the contractor on Wednesday morning. The job is going to be a challenge for him and his crew. The drive is narrow, too narrow for any kind of a tandem-axle truck. The current slope of the backyard goes towards the foundation, which means the grade needs to be changed. The top of the current foundation is just an inch or two above the dirt, and current code requires at least a six-inch gap between the top of the foundation and the surrounding soil. But I'm confident he's up to the job. He's supposed to be here next week to do the digging and pour the concrete.
It's exciting to see progress after the long months of waiting!
Yesterday was 70 and sunny, and Joe and I spent much of the afternoon doing some final prep work. He took the concrete front steps apart, I removed the rotting trim boards on the garage. (he muttered something about an imbalance of labor, but I pretended not to hear him.)
I am SO ready for this project to start...