Sunday, December 2, 2012

30 Reasons Why Failure is Good

The weight of past mistakes has been weighing on me this past week.  Many, many moons ago, I had the notion I had to be perfect before anyone would love me.  In response to this misguided idea, a wise counselor had me write up a list of reasons why failure is good.

As I was brow-beating myself yesterday, the memory of the list came to mind, so I went and dug it up.  Reading it helped me to get past the past, and anchor myself again in today.  I rather like the list, (if I do say so myself), so thought I'd share:

30 Reasons Why Failure is Good

  1. It gives you a reason to inspect the toes of your shoes.
  2. It can teach you one, or several, of life's little lessons.
  3. You know one more way not to do it.  a.k.a. 'experience'
  4. You can be an example for other people's children.  i.e. "If you keep this up, you'll end up just like ____, who did it when she was young."
  5. It shows you your limitations; you can't succeed at everything.
  6. You learn that even big mistakes don't mean the end of the world.
  7. You learn that the world doesn't revolve around you.
  8. It makes other people feel smug, because they have a reason to say "I told you so".
  9. You can rub it in the faces of those who jeered when you later succeed (and be smug yourself).
  10. Sometimes, it proves that people will love you, even if you're wrong.
  11. It stretches the mind; you have to think of new ways to accomplish your goals.
  12. It teaches humility.
  13. Sometimes, it helps you to re-order your life's priorities.
  14. It teaches you to handle frustration and control your anger, if handled correctly.
  15. It teaches you patience.
  16. It gives you a chance to face disappointment without becoming bitter; to become mature.
  17. The way you act when the chips are down will show you what you're made of.
  18. You learn who your friends are.
  19. You learn who your enemies are.
  20. You know that at least you tried.
  21. You learn what your fears are.
  22. It brings you back to earth.
  23. It opens doors you might otherwise have missed.
  24. It changes your perspective; forces you to look at things from another angle.
  25. It satisfies your curiosity; you know what happens if you do it 'this' way.
  26. It can teach you compassion, for you, too, have walked a dead-end path.
  27. You learn you can make it through places you never thought you could.
  28. You learn not to let one mistake color your whole world.  To figure out what went wrong, don't do that again, and go on.
  29. You learn you can't hide from your failures forever.  That eventually, you have to come up for air.
  30. You learn that a failure in one minute doesn't mean you won't succeed in the next.

No comments:

Post a Comment