Friday, March 2, 2012

Pleasantly mellow...

Sometimes, the nurses in busy doctor's offices are sympathetic to people who have important questions that aren't true emergencies.

Suaguaro National Park, Tucson, AZ
Sometimes, they'll take time to give you their e-mail address so they can cover for a colleague who's on vacation for a few days, and track down the doctor to get the answer to a question that isn't so important to anyone but the person asking the question.

Sometimes.  Today was one of those times.

The drainage from my tubes had slowed enough that they could most likely come out - but they couldn't come out without permission from the doctor, and I'd been reaching the doctor via his most competent nurse - who happens to be on vacation until Tuesday.  Which meant I'd have to live with the irritation through another weekend.

I called the office, got hold of a young girl who transferred me to Mary, who took the time to track down the doctor, who said, "Yes, the tubes can come out."

I got hold of my local doctor friend, who came over right after her work was complete, and took the d*mn things out for me.  It hurt for about ten seconds when she did it.

I can't describe how good it feels to be pain-free for the first time in over two weeks.  (The fact she had me take a full dose of my happy-pain pills just before she did the procedure probably helps just a bit, but hey - if you can get away with it...)

I can take a deep breath.  I can reach overhead.  I will be able to sleep on my side. Tears keep leaking from the corners of my eyes - it feels so good to be able to finally begin to heal.  Hallelujah!

3 comments: