Saturday, January 21, 2012

We Interrupt Your Detour...

Missouri Sunset, Jan 2012
We are sorry for any irrational joy this may cause, but we are interrupting your detour for a short return to your camper van trip.

I met with the oncologist yesterday - he isn't planning to plan anything until the pathology is available, and that won't be until after surgery is complete.

The test results I was waiting on came back as inconclusive, so they're running the test again, using a more comprehensive version of it.  Those results won't be available for another week and a bit, but they had no problem with the concept of a phone consultation instead of my showing up at the office.

The last appointment I have scheduled is a pre-op meeting with the surgeon's team next Wednesday.  I checked with everyone I can think of, and they said they don't need to see me between then and a few days before surgery, as long as I promise to answer my phone should questions come up in the interim, so...

Hasta la vista, baby!  I am SO outta here.

I figure that gives me two weeks to climb back into the van and head to the southwest.  It's probably best for my relationships with family and friends that I go.  I'm already climbing the walls - I can't imagine I'll get any better as time goes on.  Time in the van, driving, thinking, stopping, breathing, space to come to terms with the changes to come as best I can; sounds like what the doctors would order for everyone if they could.  (They were MOST supportive of my plan...)

My favorite was the oncologist.  I asked if there was any reason I shouldn't hit the road, and he thought for a minute, then asked, "Do you have enough money?  Is your transportation in good order?  Yes?  Well, then, no, I can't think of a reason you shouldn't go."

Yes!

1 comment:

  1. Do you have enough money? What an interesting question. Harkens back to the days when our mom's wanted us to carry enough money. on a date or other excursion, to call home in an emergency. So OK, take to the road and do that breathing, praying and reflecting but don't forget to keep an eye on the calendar so you don't miss your big appointment with the minor deity with the M.D. after his/her name. Let us all know what's shaking in the warmer climes. Travel with our love.

    ReplyDelete