|Missouri Sunset, Jan 2012|
We are sorry for any irrational joy this may cause, but we are interrupting your detour for a short return to your camper van trip.
I met with the oncologist yesterday - he isn't planning to plan anything until the pathology is available, and that won't be until after surgery is complete.
The test results I was waiting on came back as inconclusive, so they're running the test again, using a more comprehensive version of it. Those results won't be available for another week and a bit, but they had no problem with the concept of a phone consultation instead of my showing up at the office.
The last appointment I have scheduled is a pre-op meeting with the surgeon's team next Wednesday. I checked with everyone I can think of, and they said they don't need to see me between then and a few days before surgery, as long as I promise to answer my phone should questions come up in the interim, so...
Hasta la vista, baby! I am SO outta here.
I figure that gives me two weeks to climb back into the van and head to the southwest. It's probably best for my relationships with family and friends that I go. I'm already climbing the walls - I can't imagine I'll get any better as time goes on. Time in the van, driving, thinking, stopping, breathing, space to come to terms with the changes to come as best I can; sounds like what the doctors would order for everyone if they could. (They were MOST supportive of my plan...)
My favorite was the oncologist. I asked if there was any reason I shouldn't hit the road, and he thought for a minute, then asked, "Do you have enough money? Is your transportation in good order? Yes? Well, then, no, I can't think of a reason you shouldn't go."