Monday, November 7, 2011

Florida Drivers

Ft. Myer's Beach, Florida
I have a new least-favorite state to drive in.

It used to be New Jersey.   The drivers there are cut-throat, and take no prisoners.  If they're unhappy with you, they let you know immediately, with a honk and a not-so-friendly wave.  With a truck and out-of-state plates they will allow you room to merge, but only if you punch it.  No hesitation allowed.

The new one is Florida.  I think about 80% of the Florida drivers were transplanted from the upper east coast.  The other 20% are what I used to call 'hat drivers' (because most of those who drive this way are old men, wearing hats). They mosey along, plenty of time, no hurry - in the left lane - until they need to exit, at which time they cross to the right without warning to make their turn.  I'd thought hat drivers were mostly benign, until I got down here.

I was driving in the center lane of the freeway, keeping up with traffic, when one of them cut me off, almost taking my front bumper with him.  He then proceeded to flip me off, for driving where he wanted to be???.  The guy had to be at least 75 years old.  And, yes, he was wearing a hat.

Fortunately for my nerves, just past Tampa as you're coming south on 75, there's a sign pointing to the Gulf Beaches.  The most aggressive drivers exited there, leaving the rest of us to heave a huge sigh of relief and continue our journeys in relative peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment