Friday, October 7, 2011

Quiet Time, Part 2

Palmyra, Maine

After the hustle and busyness of Acadia, I was ready for some quiet time, and found it the last couple of nights.

Yesterday's campsite brought me to the Palmyra Golf and RV Resort.  I got in about mid-afternoon - it was clean and quiet, just what the doctor ordered.   (If I was a golfer, I'd have thought I'd landed in heaven - the campground sits smack-dab in the middle of the course, and they give discounts on golfing for campers.)

During the night, it was impressed upon me again that it's time to head south.  I discovered that somewhere around 35 degrees, the heat pump quits pumping warm air - but keeps blowing that nice cool stuff around.  I woke up freezing, and quickly turned the switch to the gas furnace.  Fortunately, the switch is within reach of my bed - it was mighty cold in here by the time it woke me!


Boothbay, Maine
Tonight, I headed back to the coast for my last night in Maine; I found a campground in Boothbay, right on the ocean.  I was a bit rattled when I got in; I'd spent the drive reflecting on Steve Jobs' death, and the speech he gave at Stanford back in 2005.

I listened to it twice this morning, trying to make it stick - I swear he was talking to me!  The part I want most to stay with me for a while is (paraphrased):  Live each day as if it will be your last, for one day, you will most certainly be right.  Each morning, when you get up, ask yourself, 'If I knew today would be the last day of my life, would I be happy doing what I plan to do today?'  If the answer is no too many days in a row, you need to rethink what you're doing in life.

I settled a bit by doing laundry, then wandered on down to the beach.  The ocean did it's magic - I sat there for almost two hours, just watching the waves.  I thought about life, death and the rhythm of the world.  I watched the ducks dive, the gulls soar and the tide come in.  I sat until the sun dipped below the trees, and I realized I was cold and getting hungry - and that my rattles were gone.  Stop.  Breathe.  Yes.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like you need to research one of these babies - a catalytic heater. They are supposed to be the safe ticket for heat in a camper when you don't have electricity handy or to just save on propane from your main tank.

    one other comment - you are a great writer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Janice, we were camping next to you in the Outer Banks, and we have been following your Blog, it is so interesting and you are a wonderful writer.

    ReplyDelete