Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Ferry Rides

Delaware Bay
New Jersey / Delaware

So far on this trip, I've taken three ferry rides, and LOVED them.

Born and raised in the Midwest, I never knew what I was missing.  If we need to get across the water in those parts, we build a bridge.  Ferries aren't needed; the waters just aren't big enough.
While I'm glad I don't have to pay the price for my daily commute, there's something really fun about driving onto a big boat, and then letting someone else do the driving for a while.

The weather for yesterday's trip across the bay on the Cape May - Lewes ferry was just about perfect, in the lower 60's.  The water was calm, the sun was shining.

About half the passengers were out and about on the deck; the remainder either stayed in their cars or sat inside the snack bar.

I'm sure some of them were working as we went, but as for the others: I hope I never get so jaded as to sit inside and ignore the beauty waiting just outside the door.

I wanted to go in and grab them.  Look!  See!  It's beautiful, and it's free!  All you have to do is open your eyes, stop for a moment, and breathe!  Not wanting to finish the trip inside myself, explaining to the nice people in blue why I thought I needed neither to spend a night in custody, nor extensive psychiatric treatment, I restrained myself.  Impulse control can be a good thing...

No comments:

Post a Comment