Friday, September 30, 2011

Wake Up Call

Like everyone else I know, I've read the warnings that come with space heaters, and have always tried to follow the proper safety precautions.

I messed up this morning. 

I'd used my space heater last night, and forgot it was still on once I got up and moving.

Shortly after I woke up. I gathered all my stuff, grabbed a jacket against the cold, and left to go take my shower.  Arriving at the bathrooms, a good two blocks from the camper, I realized I'd forgotten my towel.  Grumbling, I redressed, and trudged back to the van.

When I opened the door, I smelled something hot.  Looking down, I realized, to my horror, that when I'd grabbed my jacket, my other coat had fallen on the floor right next to the heater - which had reactivated itself shortly after I left. 

I grabbed the coat - it was hot, but not yet close to burning - and immediately turned off the heater.

Lesson learned.  And am I glad I forgot my towel this morning.


  1. Wow! Very glad you caught it in time!

    I've been enjoying the travelogue--and you are fully as good a writer as I thought you would be. Thanks very much for sharing your thoughts and pictures with us!

  2. Glad you forgot your towel as well.

    (I'm slowly catching up on my RSS feeds. Sorry for commenting on something so last month. ^_^)